Can you work from anywhere? Is your dream to create a business that can be managed from Thailand, Europe, Florida and anywhere in-between? If so, you need to meet the folks from Jumpanzee. Join us on episode 117 of the Small Business Show!
After spending years working for Ginormous Corp, David Denning and his wife Elle wanted to own a business that would give them the flexibility to live anywhere on Earth for months at a time. Jumpanzee, a branding, design and web management firm, allowed them to do just that.
After spending time discussing the challenges of running your business from an island, we jump into a discussion of distinguishing yourself in a crowded marketplace without getting into a race to the bottom on pricing, how to manage customer expectations and understanding that you can’t be everything to everyone and still be the best at what you do.
It wouldn’t be a Small Business Show interview without finding out about David’s “best” mistake that taught him some powerful lessons about making yourself accessible 24/7 and learning that time is your most precious commodity. We then talk about the obstacles in the way of scaling Jumpanzee and how David and his team are overcoming them.
Shannon and Dave wrap up the show with a discussion about just what exactly an “Explainer” video is and how Jumpanzee uses them to market their customers businesses.
Listen in and learn, then jump over to the Small Business Show Support Group to comment and connect with Jumpanzee!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #117 May 3, 2017
- 00:01:32 David Denning from Jumpanzee <http://jumpanzee.com>
- 00:03:27 Goal: Start a location independent business
- 00:04:53 The ups – and downs – of being a digial nomad in business
- 00:06:35 Managing time zones
- Helps if you are a night person. Bad internet access
- 00:07:57 Managing customer expectations
- 00:08:52 Balancing project work with ongoing revenue
- 00:10:10 You can’t be everything to everybody and still be good
- 00:11:28 Jumpanzee?
- 00:13:05 Buying a 3-month old business
- 00:14:00 Differentiating yourself without using price
- 00:16:35 But still post your prices!
- 00:22:37 Favorite mistake: live chat!
- 00:25:00 Biggest obstacle: How to scale
- 00:26:45 Explaining “explainer videos”
- 00:29:48 SBS 117 Outtro
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 31:20 — 14.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS | More
Blake · May 10, 2017 at 18:02
We love your podcast here at Handlr and our founder would love to be a guest! Please email me about the steps we can take for your screening process!
shannon · May 17, 2017 at 17:17
We would love to to chat with Britt about her Small Business journey and about Handlr. We will reach out to you directly. Cheers!