Everyone is an expert…at something. Listen to this episode of the Small Business Show for tips about using your expertise to start a consulting Small Business that can help you transition from an employee to an employer.
Listener James B. asks some great questions about starting his technical support consultant business and Dave and Shannon are happy to spend the entire show discussing consulting as a Small Business. You’ll learn about the importance of getting paid immediately for your work and options for how to make billing your clients simple and efficient. We then discuss accounting software options and service contracts to make your billing happen automagically each month.
Dave focuses in on how to respond when problems recur and how to avoid any confusion on repeat work before you leave the worksite. Shannon offers up his theory that communication before, during and after is the critical piece of the consulting puzzle, with tips for each type of communication and how to make it effective. You’ll also learn about effective marketing of your consultant business using Google Local Ads, Yelp, word of mouth and other options as well as the importance of branding your business beyond just your name.
We wrap up the show with a discussion about removing obstacles that might keep you from getting started. Just start and then adjust. Don’t worry about things like certifications that may help with future marketing, but are not necessary to get your first clients.
Listen in for these tips and more, then join us in the Small Business Support Group to share your stories and ask questions!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #152 for Thursday, January 4, 2018
- 00:01:42 James-Advice to get started consulting
- 00:03:59 Figure out how to get paid immediately when services are rendered
- 00:05:50 Service contract model with subscription billing
- 00:07:52 What to leave behind?
- 00:08:35 What happens if the problem recurs?
- 00:10:01 Prioritize effective communication
- 00:12:25 Don’t be afraid to talk money
- 00:18:02 Marketing Your Business
- Google Local Ads
- Brand yourself (aka “Dave The Nerd” or “MacSamurai”)
- 00:19:30 SPONSOR: Create a FREE Beeya.com account today to find jobs AND find employees.
- Beeya.com’s algorithm is the first of its kind to match employees with employers based on each party’s specific requirements.
- 00:22:34 Don’t over-prioritize certifications
- 00:24:15 Just start your business
- 00:25:21 Communicating during the consultation
- 00:27:08 Talk through it actively
- 00:34:55 Don’t obsess over the hours
- 00:36:02 What happens after you do the work?
- 00:38:21 Get those referrals!
- Always Following Up!
- Define the “end”
- 00:38:32 SBS 152 Outtro
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 39:15 — 18.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS | More