If you’re a Small Business owner, chances are you like things to be done a certain way – that may be why you don’t work for someone else, doing things their way. This is a powerful trait that can push you to succeed – but, it can also turn you into a micromanager when it comes to your employees, contractors and partners.
So, how do you avoid being a micromanager while at the same time being sure things are getting done and that people are embracing change and not getting stagnant? Let’s figure it out together on this episode of the Small Business Show.
Join Dave Hamilton and Shannon Jean as they discuss their own micromanaging issues and how they have worked hard to overcome them with tactics like up-front communication, planned check-ins and perhaps most importantly, using persuasion to nudge things along in the direction that you want, while protecting the autonomy of your employees, contractors and partners.
During the discussion, we come up with ways to promote change and avoid getting stuck at a “comfort level” for your team along with ways to foster change as a foundational part of your business.
Join us for this and much more on this episode of the Small Business Show, then come share your story at the Small Business Support Group.
Thanks for listening!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #202 for Wednesday, December 19, 2018
- 00:02:56 Working your own way
- 00:03:54 Creating Perpetual Change
- 00:07:01 Set check-in/adaptation points
- “You’re going to get bored if we don’t change it”
- 00:09:02 Why is micromanaging so bad?
- “I’ll back up every decision you make, but I reserve the right to critique them with you”
- 00:13:34 Delegate the work, and set Clearly-defined Checkpoints
- Fostering Autonomy
- 00:15:45 Don’t get comfortable
- 00:18:21 Use the illusion of choice to foster buy-in
- 00:20:23 Have that removed!
- 00:23:07 Treat people the way they need to be treated, not the way you need to be treated
- 00:24:03 Embrace change, reward risks
- 00:25:48 Eradicate the Resistors!
- 00:30:03 SBS 202 Outtro
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 30:38 — 21.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS | More