How many tasks are you “managing” at one time? How effective are you while doing those things and how does multitasking impact your creativity? Join us this week on episode 106 of the Small Business Show and find out how your hosts deal with the urge to instantly respond to Slack posts and Messages.
Dave brings up the concept of Spotlighting vs. Multitasking after Shannon explains his typical method of quickly jumping in and out of many different tasks during the day. We also discuss ways to push back on distractions and how to bring back some of that missing downtime in your life.
Finally, since the guys love “Spotlighting” from one topic to another, you’ll here about the concept of allocating as much time to the news as it impacts your life. This proportional allocation can help to put things in perspective.
So, turn off all those distractions and listen in to this episode of the Small Business Show!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #106 February 15, 2017
- 00:02:16 The power of powering through
- 00:04:20 Why You Shouldn’t Multitask
- 00:07:48 Don’t multitask, Spotlight instead
- 00:12:45 Implied urgency
- 00:15:33 Internal vs. External distractions
- 00:16:22 Downtime is when good ideas come
- 00:19:13 Allocating proportional time to the news
- 00:23:08 Understanding your own mental bandwidth… and living within it.
- 00:27:33 Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Messaging
- 00:29:48 SBS Outtro