- Ever thought of starting a Small Business from your hobby? We often hear about home beer brewers taking the leap and launching a company built around their love of beer, but what about Cider makers? Join us today as we talk with Ben Schroeder, founder of Santa Barbara Cider!
Many of us follow our interests and passion from hobbies to Small Business owner. Ben Schroeder spent 7-years perfecting his different cider flavors in his garage before opening the Santa Barbara Cider taproom with his sister, Twilight and close friend Niklas. Today they create over 60 flavors with 12 rotating taps at any one time. Ben shares how he made steady, methodical steps to get the business off the ground and to grow it to where it is today, serving a large community at their tap room and expanding into other local venues.
Listen in and you’ll hear about the importance of creating an experience your customers will love, how asking for help can get people on your side and how starting with your neighbors is the key to getting final approval when applying for a federal liquor license.
There’s a lot of great tips on this episode of the Small Business Show. Listen in, then ask your questions and comment at the Small Business Support Group. Cheers!
- 00:00:00 Small Business Show #192 for Wednesday, October 10, 2018
- 00:00:44 Interview with Ben Schroeder from Santa Barbara Cider
- 00:01:29 Celiac disease points small business to Cider!
- 00:02:57 “This is great, where did you buy it?”
- 00:05:14 So many small steps and eventually it’s a business
- 00:07:02 How many hours means “full time” for this business?
- 00:07:41 Create an experience
- 00:09:33 Marching band supplies lead to Cider
- 00:10:53 Only 100 gallons per year
- 00:12:05 “Hey I need some help”
- 00:13:27 Are your neighbors comfortable with what you’re doing?
- 00:14:57 Time to distribute!
- 00:18:23 SPONSOR: Visit TextExpander.com/podcast for 20% off your first year.
- 00:20:31 SPONSOR: Gusto is refreshingly easy payroll, benefits, and HR for the modern small business. Visit Gusto.com/SBS for a free, 3-month trial.
- 00:22:07 Social media? Be social!
- 00:24:06 Relational not Transactional
- 00:24:59 Mistakes: Rushing, Doing too Much, or Completely Distracted
- 00:27:44 Find Santa Barbara Cider on Instagram or Facebook or at sbcider.com
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 29:44 — 20.5MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Email | RSS | More